Seng Factory. 1440 North Dayton - lower left - includes the distinctive water tower.

Seng Factory. 1440 North Dayton - lower left - includes the distinctive water tower.

1440 North Dayton was originally a manufacturing facility for The Seng Company, who introduced the systemic production of metal parts to supply the growing industry of mass produced furniture.

The company thrived with the popularity of the company’s most familiar yet least known contribution to domestic American comfort: a mechanical hinge that is at the heart of all sofa-beds.

In the fall of 1924, Wendelin P. Seng (1828–1896) hired architect William G. Barfield to design a modern factory building. With advancements in concrete building technology, and an interest in open, airy and lightfilled work places, the Seng Company Factory Building #9 is a handsome example of a “daylight” factory, an innovative industrial building type built of reinforced concrete with open loft-like interior spaces for maximum flexibility, and filled with windows for maximum daylight to aid in manufacturing.